The Archaeological Records Office (ARO) is the official, and only, repository for archaeological survey records and site information generated during Arizona Antiquities Act Blanket-permitted work conducted on state lands. The ARO also accepts records from other land jurisdictions under Records Management and Repository Agreements.
State lands means lands owned or controlled by the State of Arizona or by any agency, instrumentality, or political subdivision of the State of Arizona, including any county or municipal corporation.
Professional archaeologists can research ARO records by appointment Tuesdays through Thursdays. Alternatively, professional archaeologists can request that Arizona State Museum staff research ARO records by completing and submitting this request form.
Nonprofessional archaeologists can request ARO records research by completing and submitting this request form. Results of this research are provided in a Cultural Resources Summary Letter.
Holiday Season Scheduling Information
- ASM's Mandated Programs Offices will be closed from 12/21/18 through 1/1/2019.
- Expedited ASM services are generally unavailable between 11/23/2018 and 1/4/2019. Expedited service availability starts again on 1/7/2019.
- Records Research requests for archaeologists are processed in the order in which the jobs are paid. Depending on volume, it may not be possible to complete your request before the end of 2018. If receipt of Records Research results is time-sensitive, please indicate this on the quote request and wait for ARO staff to contact you regarding timelines.
- The ARO is open for professional archaeologists to conduct Records Research until 12/19/2018. Please contact Christina Jenkins (email@example.com) to schedule an appointment. Appointments are generally available between 9a and 5p, Tuesday through Thursday.
- Any ASM services for which the intent is to receive key deliverables by 12/21/2018 must be requested through the online quote site no later than midnight on 12/09/18.
- Quotes must be approved, invoices paid, and key forms received before 12/12/18 to ensure processing happens before 2019.
- Routine service schedules resume on 1/2/2019.
- End of the year processing constraints and deadlines for burial agreements should be addressed directly to Claire Barker (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- During university closure, 12/21/2018 through 1/2/2018, please continue to email Notification of Intent (NOI) forms to Christina Jenkins (email@example.com). No acknowledgement or other approval of this notification is required for work to begin.
- Continue to report the discovery of human remains or intent to disturb human remains to Claire Barker by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone at 520-626-0320.
- Continue to report archaeological and paleontological discoveries to Shannon Twilling by email (email@example.com) or by phone at 520-621-2096.